[CarbonTracker] Update to CarbonTracker: CT2011_oi

CarbonTracker announcements carbontracker at list.woc.noaa.gov
Mon Jul 1 20:30:42 UTC 2013

Dear CarbonTracker Users,

Recently, we discovered a bug in the atmospheric transport model used to produce CarbonTracker.  As a result of this bug, the CT2011 release fluxes and mole fraction data as originally released should be considered invalid.  The bug has been fixed, and revised results are now available at http://carbontracker.noaa.gov.  We strongly recommend that  users discontinue any use of the CT2011 data and switch to the revised CT2011_oi results.  Previous CarbonTracker releases, including CT2009 and CT2010, were unaffected by this bug.

This revised release is being called "CT2011_oi".  The "_oi" suffix not only identifies this revision as being distinct from the original CT2011 data, but it also serves to describe a major difference in the revision.  It so happens that the transport model bug was masking a separate issue with one of our two ocean flux prior models.  Once we fixed the transport model bug, we were able to see that the four inversions using the Takahashi climatological ocean flux model were invalid.  Thus, the CT2011_oi release is composed of the four inversions using the ocean inversion ("oi") flux model.